Worshipped in the form of Kedar or the lord of Kedar valley this ancient Lord Shiva temple of the 8th century was built as a result of Adi Shankaracharya’s constant efforts for the propagation of Advaita philosophy. Another origin story of Kedarnath temple revolves around the Pandavas who are told to have visited this place during their journey to the heaven.
Sitting at an elevation of 3,583 metres above sea level and nestled on the Garhwal Himalayan ranges right on the banks of the holy Mandakini River. The temple is located in a place which experiences extreme weather conditions. The roads that make the visit to Kedarnath temple accessible are extremely well paved and maintained up till Phata but hard to access from here on further.
Kedarnath Helicopter Shuttle Service:
- You will depart from Sahastradhara airport in Dehradun as per your given time. Remember to reach the helipad 1 hour before the time of scheduled time of departure.
- After 45 minutes of air travel you will be reaching the helipad at Sersi, Phata, Sitapur or Guptkashi.
- From here you will be transferred into another chopper (government rules) which will take another 15 to 20 minutes to reach the helipad of Kedarnath. This helipad is located at a mere distance of around 500 to 700 metres of the main entrance of the temple.
- You will be given 3 hours to complete your darshan (VIP) and return back to kedarnath helipad.
- Finally you will be taken back to Sahastradhara airport ending your journey with Premier.