Gangotri is situated at an incredible height where the entire region experiences high altitude Himalayan weather conditions throughout the year. The only time when visitation is possible and easy is when the summer months commence during end of April to July. If you are planning on visiting Gangotri then make sure to go there during the right season since overall the temperature here remains extremely unpredictable.
To give you a clearer picture about the weather and temperature conditions in Gangotri and to help you plan your trip better here is a month wise break down of the temperature here:
Summer in Gangotri
The months of April to June are the summer months in Gangotri where the temperature ranges between 20 to 30 degree Celsius. this is also the time when not only pilgrims travel to Gangotri Dham but avid adventure enthusiasts also make their way for trekking to Gaumukh glacier. This is also the best time for you to visit although you will be experiencing a fair amount of crowd of devotees. The temperature also remains cool and pleasant in the morning with the brightly shining sun and by night time the temperature also falls drastically.
Monsoon in Gangotri
Both pilgrimage and adventure tourist activities come to halt during these months of the year. The entire region gets engulfed in random rain showers and the average temperature observed here stays between 10 to 15 degree Celsius and lasts from July to September. You should definitely avoid travelling to the hills during this time but if you get a safe and sunny window in between while travelling then you can utilize the opportunity.
Winter in Gangotri
The months of October to March are observed as the winter months in Gangotri. Snowfalls occur commonly during these months and the entire region gets covered in a thick layer of snow. The temple also gets completely buried inside this snow and the temperature ranges only between sub-zeros to 10 degree Celsius. This is also the time when the idol of the [residing deity is shifted to her winter home in Harsil.
Gangotri Month Wise Weather
- January – The entire region remains covered in a thick layer of snow. Snowfall occurs regularly during this time and the temperature here goes to subzero levels. The temple is abandoned for the season and there is nobody around due to the inhospitable weather conditions.
- February – This is also the month when the temperature remains zero and even goes below zero. Even if there is sun out in the day time the temperature is still freezing cold and gets increasingly chilly by night fall.
- March – The temperature gradually and slowly rises and remains between 0 to 3 degree Celsius. Snowfall still occurs in intervals but at the same time a rise in temperature is also experienced. Work for the opening of the temple is resumed.
- April – The temperature during this time stays between 5 to 7 degree Celsius. the routes are cleared for the pilgrims who will throng this place during the on season. However the weather condition during this month is still extremely cold and freezing.
- May – The temple Kapat is thrown open for pilgrimage during this month and the average temperature during this time remains between 10 to 12 degree Celsius. This is also considered to be the most comfortable time to visit the temple. The region experiences a huge turnout of pilgrims during this time.
- June – The temperature remains between 17 to 22 degree Celsius during this month. This is also the most appropriate time for you to visit the famous Gaumukh glacier since the weather condition is extremely favorable during this time. This month marks the peak summer month of the year.
- July – This month marks the onset of the monsoon month where the temperature remains between 23 to 18 degree Celsius. the region gets engulfed in torrential rain by the end of this month and make sure to confirm with your tour operator before going to Gangotri in July.
- August – The overall weather during this month is extremely warm and is accompanied with occasional and unexpected rainfall. Traveling is not advised during this time since the region remains prone to heavy landslides that would put your life at risk.
- September – After the monsoon season the entire region experiences a dip in the temperature where it goes to as low as 12 to 13 degree Celsius. The days are pleasant yet cool while the nights are freezing cold.
- October – The Himalayan chill is properly felt during this month when the temperature in Gangotri drops further and stays between 5 to 8 degree Celsius. you should definitely load up on your woolen clothing items before visiting the Dham since October also marks the beginning of winter time in Gangotri.
- November – The temple Kapat shuts down for pilgrim Darshan by the end of this month when the temperature stays between 2 to 4 degree Celsius. the nights are freezing cold and the region also experiences heavy and unpredictable snowfall.
- December – The entire regions remains prone to heavy snowfall and gets covered under a thick layer of snow. The temperatures also drop to zero and subzero levels making visit here impossible due to the inhospitable weather conditions.
Best Time to Visit:
The summer months of end of April or early May to monsoon is considered to be the best time to visit. In between the services to Chardham is suspended for a brief period owing to the unpredictable weather conditions. If the Himalayan winter chills is not a problem for you then the months of end of August to the closing of the Kapat Dham during the months of either late October to early November is considered to be an ideal time to visit.
Leave a Reply